Many people who get pimples are totally uninformed about acne and how bad some acne types can get. They mindlessly pick at their pimples, hoping against hope that the pimples will just vanish into thin air. However, the truth is, with picking even one or two of what would have been otherwise harmless pimples, you can create painful, huge cysts in a matter of seconds as the bacteria infect your pores.
The Acne Types You Can Get
- There are several different acne types and the problem with them is that they can all be related and one of them may turn into another. Most of the time acne will be in the form of small red spots, but if you go on picking at these you can trigger off cysts and other acne types to form.
- Before you get to this point though, you will get a tiny lesion called a micro-comedo. This cannot be seen easily and will later develop into a closed comedo or a whitehead or an open comedo which is a blackhead. These are your normal pimples, also known as acne vulgaris and it is through infection that these will get transformed into worsened acne types. This is also easy to treat with various medications and over the counter products that have benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid in them.
- Once your acne papule gets to a certain size and depending on whether it is inflammatory or not, this harmless lesion can turn into a pustule or a nodule. The pustules are, as their name indicates, filled with pus and are visible on the surface of the skin. The nodules are located below the surface deep into the tissues and can become very large with a localised fever and redness. The nodules are the worst kind of acne types you can get and once you have nodulocystic acne, which is also very painful, it is very difficult to treat and also difficult to get rid of completely. Even if you manage to do this, you may be left with horrible scarring. This is one of the acne types that are primarily formed by picking and squeezing acne papules.
- Acne Rosacea is one of the acne types you can get between the ages of 30 and 60 and most commonly if you are a woman of Celtic origin. Acne Rosacea is characterised by a lot of redness on the face accompanied by tiny bumps on the face. It is similar in appearance to acne but is not quite the same. In men, this condition can become severe in that it often causes a lobulated red nose called rhinophyma.
- One of the acne types that is often seen in newborns is scalp folliculitis, which is caused mainly by excess oil, sweat and dirt. This type of acne is often seen on the scalp especially if the newborn’s head tends to be covered most of the time.
Irrespective of which of the acne types you may be suffering from, maintaining a healthy diet and a proper skin-care routine goes a long way towards controlling the acne and thwarting its spread.